YUM! I love hot chocolate! Especially after a run on a cold day. I know that probably sounds kind of odd. . .but hey, non-fat milk and no sugar added mix, it has carbs and protein, a perfect post-run refuel, right??! 😉 Though this is not something I would recommend eating to refuel your body after a workout, it is actually reasonably healthy. I tried making it with as little sugar and fat as possible. If you don’t pile on the frosting on top, you’re good to go! Since it is supposed to only be in the single digits this weekend with windchill, I think it is a perfect time to make something warm and chocolaty!
Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
2 C Pillsbury Sugar-Free Devil’s Food Cake Mix
2 packets no sugar added hot chocolate
1/2 C water
2 TBSP canola oil
1 C vanilla frosting (whipped or regular)
1/2 C marshmallow creme
1/4 tsp baking cocoa
6 miniature pretzels broken in half
1. Preheat oven to 350 F for shiny metal pan or 325 F for dark or non-stick. Place paper baking cups in 12 regular size muffin cups.
2. Mix together the cake mix and hot chocolate packets in a large bowl.
3. Add water, oil, and egg. Beat with an electric mixer for 30 seconds on low. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
4. Divide the batter evenly among muffin cups. **One way to make these extra gooey is to place a couple of miniature marshmallows into the center of the batter. The marshmallows will melt and make the center extra moist. 🙂
5. Bake 17-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool for a few minutes before removing from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely, or about 30 minutes.
6. In a small bowl, mix frosting and marshmallow creme. Spoon into small resealable food storage plastic bag. Seal bag. Cut tip off one corner of bag.
7. Pipe 3 small dollops of frosting mixture on top of each cupcake to resemble melted marshmallows. (You can spoon mixture onto cupcakes instead of piping, if needed.)
8. Sprinkle with cocoa. Press pretzel half into side of each cupcake for cup handle.
*Now get a cup of coffee or hot chocolate, a warm blanket, and enjoy!
What are some of your favorite ways to stay warm during cold weather?