These muffins are a perfect way to start off this week’s Healthy Habit. They contain 1/4 C of ground flax as is, but you can adjust the amount to fit your tastes. The subtle nutty flavor of the flax pairs well with the wheat bran and makes for a nice, hearty breakfast muffin washed down with a cold glass of milk. At least it sure tasted good with milk this morning for breakfast! 🙂
Cranberry Wheat Bran Muffins
Yield: 12 muffins
- 1 1/2 C wheat bran
- 1 1/4 C low-fat buttermilk
- 1/3 C unsweetened applesauce or canned pumpkin (not pie filling)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 C brown sugar
- 1/3 C sugar substitute such as Stevia
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 C whole wheat or all purpose flour
- 1/4 C ground flax seed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 C dried cranberries or raisins
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease muffin tin or line with paper muffin liners.
- Mix together the buttermilk and wheat bran a small bowl and let stand for 15 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the applesauce/pumpkin, egg, brown sugar, sugar substitute, and vanilla. Add the buttermilk/wheat bran mixture in and stir together.
- Sift together flour, powder, soda, and salt. Add in the flax seed. Stir flour mixture into buttermilk mixture until just blended.
- Fold in cranberries/raisins and divide batter evenly into muffin tins.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.